Sausage and bean cassoulet with potato cakes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 225g/8oz smoked streaky bacon, cut into 2cm/½in strips
- 6 cooked sausages
- 1 can baked beans
- 1 glass red wine
- 290ml/½ pint beef stock
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 55g/2oz breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the potato cakes
- Preheat oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
- Heat a large pan add the oil and fry the garlic, onion and bacon for 2-3 minutes.
- Chop the sausages into large chunks and add to the pan.
- Add the red wine, stock, baked beans, thyme and tomatoes. Bring to the boil and gently simmer for 8 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped parsley and season with salt and pepper before placing in an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with the breadcrumbs and bake for 10 minutes.
- Mix the apple with the potato and season, shape into a cake.
- Heat the butter and oil in a frying pan and add the potato cakes. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.