- 200 grams natural-coloured glace cherries
- 250 grams self-raising flour
- 225 grams butter (softened)
- 175 grams caster sugar
- 3 large eggs (beaten)
- 2 – 3 drops almond essence
- 100 grams ground almonds
- 6 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC/150°C Fan/gas mark 3/325ºF. Halve the cherries, wash them in a colander under cold water, then pat them dry, toss them in some flour and shake well to get rid of excess.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add the beaten eggs and almond essence, then gently fold in the flour and ground almonds. Fold in the cherries and then the milk and spoon the thick mixture into a lined and buttered loaf tin (23 x 13 x 7cm / 9 x 5 x 3 inches) and bake for ¾-1 hour, or until a cake-tester comes out clean.
- As with all of these sorts of cakes, leave in the tin on a wire rack until completely cooled.